The Hard Case for Soft Skills is the latest newsletter update from Daniel Goleman. Goleman first introduced us to the concept of ‘Emotional Intelligence’ back in 1995 with his book of the same name. The book remains high on the list of mandatory reading for MBA students and those interested in developing leadership skills.
Goleman explains his model for Emotional and Social Competency (ESCI-360). He co-developed the model (ESCI-360), together with Richard Boyatzis. The model provides empirical evidence that Emotional Intelligence is the best predictor of workplace performance. The tool ESCI-360 (Emotional and Social Competency Inventory) has shown clear performance boosts from higher levels of Emotional Intelligence.
The findings of the report include:
- Emotional Self Awareness is a solid foundation for Emotional Intelligence.
- Emotional Intelligence is a key predictor of leadership effectiveness. Leaders with high ESCI scores for Conflict Management are likely to create the most positive climates and have team members stay five years or longer.
- Higher ESCI scores predict an employee’s effectiveness, engagement and innovation
“Emotional intelligence is the capacity for recognizing our own and others’ feelings and for managing emotions effectively, including motivating ourselves and others”Daniel Goleman
The key findings:
- The hard case for soft skills is that The higher a person’s level of emotional intelligence, the better their job performance and the more committed to their organization.
- The greater a leader’s EI, the more satisfied their direct reports are with their job, and the lower their turnover rate.
- Higher EI predicts more organizational good citizenship (e.g., helping a colleague improve their performance) and fewer problematic habits (loafing, bullying, lateness).
Synopsis of an article from Daniel Goleman's Emotional Intelligence Newsletter on LinkedIn by Daniel Goleman published 26th August 2020 Find the full article here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/welcome-my-newsletter-emotional-intelligence-daniel-goleman-goleman-3f/ and the report published by Korn Ferry here https://www.kornferry.com/content/dam/kornferry/docs/article-migration//ESCI_Technical_Manual_nav_04052017.pdf